Human nature and human condition
- Purpose of human beings is to seek as an end pleasure through good action, individual liberation, liberation of society, welfare and righteousness.
- Humans search for liberation = motivated by the unceasing cycle of birth and re-birth.
- One must act for the good of the family.
Freewill and Fatalism
- Sentient - Have higher mental faculties than other animals
- Moral freedom
- Humans have a special value because they are instrumental by which the soul can be liberated from the body in the cycle of birth and re-birth.
- Have the freewill to act and the possibiliy through the persuit of purity and virtuous behaviour of reaching towards the universal soul
Equality and Difference
- Identity affected by hierachy, class, caste + sex
- Act in one situation may be right for one person, but wrong for another
- Difference in caste systems imply inequality
- Men retain leadership roles
- Caste system undermines equality
Value of Human Life
- Every individual has a beginning and an end
- Human life important in the cycle as a step towards union with God
"Every individual life has a beg and an end, a creation and a destruction which is part of the process of the world