- Created by: susana96
- Created on: 22-04-15 17:44
- Late 1980s the Ukraine partly split & Nationalist protests grew.
- Orthodox Ukrainian party lost membership.
- By 1991 it was declared its own sovereignty.
1 of 5
- Satellite state.
- November 1998.
- Mass demonstration- rise up against repression.
- Overnight the gov & Deutschland Democratic Republic are gone.
- Gorbachev does nothing= other states, both satellite & republic see the mass demonstration & begin to think the same ideology.
- Evidence that G does nothig represents the idea that if you want something and protest for it you can get it.
2 of 5
- Aprill 1989.
- March in support of independece was attacked by troops.
- Sovereignty declared in Nov 1989.
- Call for independece supported by 99% of Georgians by 1991.
- May 1991 was the first freee election of a Republic leader.
- IMPACT= First freee election of Republic leader alowed other Republic states to recognise tht it was just the satellite states that could uproar & gain the independece they wanted.
3 of 5
- Velvet revolution.
- Posters spread about getting rid of Czech leader.
- Nov 1989= Police supress peaceful student protest which sparked more protests.
- By Nov 20th the protest swelled from 200000 to 500000 protesters.
- IMPACT= showed evidence of successful demosntrations that had fuelled off others, encouraging other states to do the same.
4 of 5
- Suffered most during WW2 with 1/4 of their population dying.
- Communists remained strong against opposition in 1990.
- No changes were made due to the protests calling for political changes.
- IMPACT= showed that the Belorussia leader & Gorbachev weren't the push overs that they seemed.
5 of 5