- Created by: Miranda Balfe
- Created on: 09-06-12 11:33
Causes of the Manchurian Crisis
Japan was a rising power in the Pacific and had developed quickly.
The Wall Street Crash had had a major impact on Japan.
They had lost a lot of trade with the USA and Japan needed new ways to expand.
In 1931, used the excuse of a Chinese attack on a Japanese railway to invade the Chinese territory of Manchuria
Japan wanted Manchuria because it was rich in natural resources
This invasion was succesful.
Events of the Manchurian Crisis
China was in the middle of a civil war and could not defend Manchuria
It appealed to the League and the League sent a commision (Lytton Commision)
The commision was too slow in which time the invasion was a success and had been completed.
The League then condemned the Japanese and asked them to leave Manchuria, the Japanese just left the League and remained in control of Manchuria
Results of the Manchurian Crisis
The Main results of the League were:
- Britain and France were not willing to fully support the League in taking action against Japan
- The League had failed to prevent agression
- Therefore this encouraged later aggression by Italy and Germany