The Peace Settlement
World War One : 1914 - 1918 (Nov 11th, armistice), Allies (Britain, France, USA) won, had to agree on Peace Treaty!
THREE CONCERNS TO THINK ABOUT
1. Millions were dead/injured. Countries devestated. Too much money spent on the war.
2. Wanted Germany to talk all the blame, especially Britain and France. Germany & co. not allowed in peace talks.
3. Make sure war wouldn't happen again, but couldn't agree. System of Alliances had failed.
THE BIG THREE (France, Britain, USA)
France: Georges Clemenceau, Prime Minister, punish Germany harshly
Britain: David Lloyd George, Prime Minister, punish Germany to a degree
USA: Woodrow Wilson, President, be fair - to avoid war
The Peace Settlement cont.
Obviously there was a disagreement, so they came to a compromise. The USA was impartial because they had suffered less then the other two countries.
WILSON SUGGESTED 14 POINTS
Came up with the 14 Points, Jan 1918.
Germany rejected them at the time. Changed their minds eventually, wanted the peace settlement based on them.
The Allies refused them because Germany had.
1. No secret treaties
2. Freedom of movement on the sea for all
3. Free trade between countries
4. Disarmament by all countries
5. Colonies to have a say in their own future
The Peace Settlement cont. 2
6. Russia to be free of German troops
7. Belgium to be independent
8. Alsace-lorraine to go to France
9. New frontier between Austria & Itlay
10. Self-determination for people in Turkish Empire
11. Serbia to have access to the sea
12. Self-determination for people in Turkish Empire
13. Poland to be independant with access to the sea
14. League of Nations to settle disputes