Wetter and Drier?
Some places where water is naturally scare may become even more drought stressed in the future.
A wamer world will also be one where more evaporation takes place over the oceans- so it will rain more due to more water in the clouds.
Change in Average Rainfall
In the 2050's rainfall levels are expected to change dramatically. Scotland's rainfall is generally expected to increase by 10% whereas in the South East and around London it is only expected to increase by 2%
By the 2080's everywhere in Yorkshire's rainfall levels have increased by 20%, however Cornwall and Devon's rainfall level has only increased by 10%.
Water Supplies in America - Case Study
- The South West is dependent on the Colorado River it is already too dry and has a poor irragtion system.
- Las Vegas have doubled their water consumption between 1985 and 2000
- Arizona saw a 40% rise in population duing the 1990's
- For Las Vegas 2002, 2004 and 2007 were some of the driest years on record.
- In Las Vegas plastic turf has been used instead of grass and drought- landscaping is now encouraged.
Water Supplies in Asia- Case Study
- People in China, India and Vietnam get there water from the seasonal melting if the Hymalian Glaciers
- Every summer water melts from the Tibetan plateu into Yellow river and Mekong
- As long as ice accumulates in the Winter they are guareteed watder for the next summer.
- A much warmer climate wold mean thta it would permentaltly melt and then dissapear, which would severly reduce the water supplies available.