RADICALISATION OF THE NKVD
- Yagoda was replaced as head of NKVD by Yezhov.
- He was tried alongside Buckharin and Rykov in the final Moscow show Trial.
- Stalin had never really truseted Yagoda, he thought his handling of the Kirov affair and the Trail of the Sixteen had not been handled firm enough.
- He was sentenced to death following trial of the Twenty One.
A NEW NKVD
- 1937 Stalin purged the NKVD itself.
- Period of the purges were also known as YEZOVSHCHINA.
- Between 1934 and 1938 333,000 party members were being convicted as being enemies of the people.
- 34,000 soldiers were purged from the army.
- Many Russians would denounce their friends and neighbours to the NKVD.
- Yezhov resigned as head of NKVD in NOV 1938 and then two years laterwas arrested in April.
- Feb 1940 he was executed and replaced by BERIA.
- An NKVD agent broke into Trotsky's house and killed him with an icepick.
1 of 1
Similar History resources: