The Treaty of Windsor 1522
Anglo-Imperial Treaty confirmed at the Treaty of Windsor in 1522.
- Henry to declare war on France if Francis failed to make peace
- Henry to keep the Channel open for Charles V
- Charles V to compensate Henry and Wolsey for lost French pensions
- Charles help Wolsey become pope
- NB Wolsey never became pope, but it is doubtful if he ever wished to, i.e. he never created any bases of support etc.
- "The Great Enterprise"
- H and C to invade France in 1523 with 40,000 men each
- Princess Mary to marry Charles V when she was 12
- Mary and Charles to rule "the whole of Christendom"
- Burgundy was a traditional ally
- England still independent, France still the enemy, Charles still in family
1 of 3
The English Campaigns 1522-3
- 1522: Early of Surrey raided Picardy
- 1523: Treaty of Windsor stated an invasion of France by Charles V and Henry
- England attacked, the Duke of Suffolk got within 50 miles of Paris
- no support from Charles, England forced to retreat
1522-3 alone cost Henry about £400,000
2 of 3
The Battle of Pavia 1525
- Feb 1525: Charles V captured Francis I at Pavia
- Francis sent to Spain
- Henry wanted to expolit this success
- Wolsey tried to raise money via tha Amicable Grant, but failed
- Henry wrote to Charles, suggesting that they "extinct the regiment of the French king and his line... from the crown of France"
- H to become King of France by "just title of inheritance"
- C to take French Burgundy
- Charles refused this, and instead ransomed Francis back to France, and demanded Mary's dowry
- when H refused, C rejected Mary as a bride
3 of 3