Roman Catholic Church
- Abortion is always wrong
- Life begins at conception (ensoulment occurs) therefore abortion is murder
- The only exception to this is if double effect occurs
- Unborn child is a sacred human life; it deserves the same respect as any other human being
1 of 3
The Church of England
- Abortion is an evil and should be avoided if possible, but can be justified in 3 circumstances:
1. Risk to mothers life or her mental and physical health
2. Baby likley to be deformed and mother feels she cannot cope
- They also allow abortion if double effect occurs.
2 of 3
Orthodox Church and Evangelical
- They both oppose abortion because they believe that God is the author of life.
- It will only be allowed in very rare or very special cases (double effect)
- Humans have no right to take life.
- Human life begins at conception.
- Abortion at any stage is murder.
3 of 3