- Created by: Fiona S
- Created on: 06-03-15 19:59
- Before there was a free market(Anyone able to buy and sell anything), Isolationism brought with it 'protectionist policies' this protected businessmen in America.
- Taxes lowered for businessmen
- Government had policy called Laissez-Faire which means they didn't get involved
- Started tariff policy, raised amount of money other contries had to pay to sell their goods in America
- First tariff called Fordney-McCumber Tariff. Raised 32 times in 1 year
- Next was Hawley-Smoot
It meant that when they needed to they couldn't sell produce to other countries because the other countries also raised high tariffs.
1 of 3
- Before Isolationism, the USA had an open door policy, resultingly had ver 100 different nationalities.
- Isolationism divided society as it created tension and groups against immigrants such as the KKK.
- Immigrants were blamed for America's problems.
- During the Red Scare people were deported if they were thought to be communist.
- Italiens lived in ghettos. Increased unemployment and crime. People turned against them. This divided society.
- Sacco and Vanzetti were 2 Italian immigrants that were executed with no proof of them committing any crime.
2 of 3
- Government changed to republican.
- Woodrow Wilson was 'fascinated with distant nations'. He has a stroke on election day.
- Warren Harding said the oppostie, which is why he won
His ideas were as follows:
- Inward looking
- Ignore the problems of the world
3 of 3
Similar History resources: