The Treaty Of Versailles
Germany were blamed for the start of the War and they resented this.
- The German Government were forced to sign the Treaty of Versailles which ended the war.
- All of the other governments had agreed to this.
- The soldiers fighting in the war wanted to go home, but were too scared to argue.
Punishments were made such as:
- Germanies miliatary strenght was destroyed, so they weren't a threat to surrounding countries.
- Their colonies were given to allies.
- Austria and Germany were broken up.
- Germany were made to pay huge amounts of money for war damage.
I think this was a far too harsh punishment purely because the whole war wasnt completely Germanys fault, and other countries should of contributed to these payments.
The causes of world war I
- 4 years of war at huge expense.
- 27 nations attended conference, including Lloyd George (British), Clemenceau (french) and Wilson (American).
- The French wanted revenge, Wilson only wanted punishment but not revenge, Lloyd George had ideas favouring Germany.
- Ebert- New German President.
- Communist leaders were gathered up and some were killed.
- Germany lost land from the East, North and West.
- They were forbiden to have soldiers in the Rhinelands.
- Their army was cut and land was taken away.
- Summer 1919, German leaders agreed to sign the Treaty.
- Communists tried and failed in destroying the german government.
- Nationlists still believed they won the war, and blamed the government for signing the armistice and treaty.
- In 1921, allies still discussing how much Germany should pay.
- France taxed heavily to repair their country.