- (v31) "Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived"
- Jesus had an absolute duty to his family
- (v32) "A crowd was sitting around Jesus"
- He was preaching
- (v33) "Jesus answereed, Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?"
- Jesus is saying that he has a more important duty than his family
- (v34) "Here are my mother and my brothers!"
- Jesus unites all his followers in one family
- (v35) "Whoever does what God wants is my brother, my sister, my mother"
- He's not saying that Mary isn't his mother, but that his family is much bigger than the ones outside.
1 of 8
Call of the First Disciples
- You need to learn and follow Jesus, then preach like him.
- Jesus mentions "Come with me, I'll teach you to become fishers of men."
- A disciple must turn away from sin
- Jesus says "Turn away from sin"
- " " " be obdeient, devoted and tollay committed.
- Jesus tells the fisher men to leave everything behind
- Disciples must leave their lives and sacrifice everything
- Levi and fishermen leave nets father and hired men
- Pharisees were shocked that Jesus would eat with sinners.
- Jesus calls people who are sinners so he can fix them
2 of 8
- (v33) "...arguing about on the road?"
- desiring what Jesus doesn't wanr them to desire
- (v34) "...themselves about who was the greatest"
- desiring what Jesus doesn't wanr them to desire
- (v35) "Whoever wants to be first must place himslef last of all and to be servent of all"
- the disciples need to consider themselves as the least important person, everyone else comes first.
- (v36) "Then he took a child and had him stand in front of them. He put his arms around him and said to them,"
- children=no social status/importance. Disciples should serve without expecting a reward or an increase in social status.
- (v37) "Whoever.....one who sent me"
- By behaving as a servent they are doing God's will, and will be rewarded by god.
- Jesus is identifying himself as an outcast, someone of low status.
3 of 8
Rich Young Man
- (v19) "You know the commandments"
- cost=keep the commandments
- problem=not easy keeping commandments
- (v21) "Go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor
- cost=sell all you have and give to poor
- people work to earn living, teaching seems unfair
- provide for family
- money is neccessary and people love miney
- (v25) "It is much harder for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.
- cost=don't love money
- problem= challenge-Jesus is saying the rich will not allow God to rule their lives money will
- (v27) " This is impossible for human beings but not for God; everything is possible for God"
- cost=Humans cannot be self reliant, they must put all their trust in God.
- problem= ot is diificult to leave material possessions and put all your trust in God.
- (v28) "Look, we have left everything and followed you"
- cost=Leave everything and follow Jesus
- probelm= not practical or loving to leave everything people might depend on you
- (v30) "-and persecutions"
- cost= persecutions- all the Apsostles were put to death, many Christians were put to death.
- problem=today some Christians are still persecuted especially in Africa and Pakistan
- (v31) "But... last will be first"
- cost=Disciple must place themselves last of all and some others.
- problem=In society todya people are taught to bw the best and to put their needs first.
4 of 8
The Parable of the Tenants
- Master= God the Father
- Vineyard=The Chosen people
- Tenants= leaders/authority
- Harvest=perfect 10 commandments and belief in God
- New Tenants=Apostles e.g Pope and Bishop
- The slaves are obedient to the master
- The first slaves were beaten and treated shamefully
- Some of the slaves were killed for doing the master's will
- New tenants are put in to get the harvest
5 of 8
A Spirit Cast out by Jesus
- (v14) The disciples come from the crowd to perform an exorcism
- (v14) "teachers of the Law arguing with them" Were they arguing about whether Jesus really had the authority to cast out spirits?
- (v18) People didn't have medical knowledge as we have today and may have mistaken an epileptic fit for demonic possession
- (v18) "I aksed your disciples to drive the spirit oit, but they could not." In chapter 6 Jesus gave the disciples authority over unclean spirits. The disciples have failed to do what Jesus has given them the power to do.
- (v19) "How unbelieving you people are!" The disciples lack faith.
- (v20) "They brought him to Jesus..... foaming at the mouth." Does the spirit recognise the presence of God and so becomes afraid?
- (v21) "Ever since he was a child" Shows how serious the case is
- (v22) "help us..... can!" The father seems to lack faith in Jesus' ability. The disciples failure calls into question of the father.
- (v29) "Only prayer....nothing else can" Why does Jesus suddenly mention prayer
6 of 8
Jesus, The Disciples and Service
- (v37) James and John want to share Jesus' worldy power
- (v38) A philosophy that they are going to be persecuted
- Jesus is saying that J+J must suffer and die to gain glory
- (v41) Show that the disciples were unsure of Jesus' teaching
- clearly still want worldly ambission
- (v43) Worldly ambission shouldn't be something the disciples want
- others need come first
- (v45) Disciples must follow the example of Jesus.
7 of 8
The Failure of the Disciples
- v27 "Jesus said to them, "All of you will run away and leave me,"
- Jesus already knew his closest disciples would let down.
- v27 "god will kill the sheperd, and the sheep will all be scattered."
- Jesus is quoting Zechariah 13:7
- v28 "But after I am raised to life, I will go to Galilee ahead of you."
- Jesus predicts his resurrection tells his disciples where to find him afterwards.
- Christians are reassured by Jesus' prophecy and believe in his rersurrection as Christianity spreads quickly.
- v31 "Peter answered....'I will nevre say that, even if I have to die with you!' and all the other disciples said the same thing."
- The disciples show that they are willing to lay down their lives for Jesus.
- v35 "He went a little farther on threw himself on the ground, and prayed that, if
8 of 8