What did the two superpowers want for Germany/Berlin economically?
- West wanted to speed up economic recovery. They didn't want Berlin to be poor because then they might be drawn into communism
- East wanted to secure itself from future attack. If the east became rich, they may strive for independence
- Stalin also feared that the new western currency and democracy would spread to the east
How did the east and west want Germany/Berlin to be run?
- Western sectors set up free elections to establish democracy. The west was capitalist
- Stalin's hopes for Berlin's council failed as he wanted communist control
- Stalin was unhappy that tge western sectors of Germany would be exposed to the Allies (capitalism). Stalin didn't want the Allies in Berlin
- Truman wanted Berlin to be a symbol of freedom behind the iron curtain and saw Berlin as a test case
What did Stalin do when Europe became involved in Marshall Aid in 1947?
- Began searching roads and supplies going into Germany
- He didn't want east Berlin to be exposed to this 'island of capitalism'
- Banned eastern Europe from Marshall Aid
What did the Allies do in response to the Blockade?
- They decided to airlift the supplies into Berlin
- The Berlin airlift lasted for 10 months, starting in June 1948 and ending in April 1949
- Between 16-17th April 1949, over 1,000 flights landed nearly 13,000 tonnes of supplies in 24 hours
- These supplies consisted of everything from flood, clothing, oil and building materials
- Stalin called off the Blockade in May 1949. He had failed to push the Allies out of Berlin
- Truman- 'We refused to be forced out'