The Assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand
- Was a critical tipping point in starting the war
- Sarajevo was in Bosnia which had been overtaken and in the power of Austria Hungary
- This really angered Serbia
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand was heir to the throne of Austria Hungary
- 7 Serbs planned to kill him (black hand gang)
- There were many tried and failed attempts.
- The Archduke decided to acncel the visit to inspect the troops and wanted to go back another route
- However no one told the driver about the route change so,
Unfortunately, the car stopped in front of Gavrilo Princip, one of the conspirators, who was on his way home thinking he had failed.
Princip pulled out a gun and shot at Franz Ferdinand, hitting him in the jugular vein. There was a tussle, during which Princip shot and killed Sophie. By 11.30am, Franz Ferdinand had bled to death.