- Central Europe - France, Italy, Swiitzerland and Autria
- Created 30 million years ago by African and Eurasian plates.
- 12 million people.
- Tallest point Mont Blanc at 4810m
1 of 3
Uses of the Alps
- Goat farming in steep hills as they are well adapted. provide milk, cheese and meat
- Sunnier slopes are terraced and used to for vineyards. (Lauex, Switzerland)
Hyro - Electric Power (HEP)
- Narrow valleys are dammed to generate HEP
- Switzerland get 60% of electricty from HEP in Alps
- 100 million toursit each year. 70% for winter sports. Other 30% come for scenary and walking.
- new villages and tourist sites set up like Chamonix, and ski lifts and cable cars located everywhere.
- Silver, iron, gold, salt, copper are minned but declided due to cheaper sources
- Scots pine planted as it is more resilient to muching goats and these are sold to make furniutre.
2 of 3
- Goats farmed on steep slopes as they are adapted
- Trees and fences and avalache shed buit to break up avalanche
- Animals grazed in areas with poor soil
- Roads built over passes such as Brenner Pass, but can become blocked by snow.
- Tunnels cut through mountian eg Lotsberg Base Tunnel.
3 of 3