- Created by: miaalvarezxo
- Created on: 05-01-19 20:15
The Parliament of Saints 1653
- it was assembled in July 1653 and lasted less than 6 months.
- on the 12th December 1653, the more conservative members met and voted to dissolve the assembly.
- Major General John Lambert produced the Instrument of government three days later, offering a new constitution.
1 of 2
The Instrument of Government
- modelled on Ireton's Heads of Proposals in 1647 and served as the constitutional basis of Cromwell's power.
- Cromwell had executive authority as Lord Protector, with a Council of State of 21 members.
- a single chamber Parliament 460 members was the legislative branch of government.
- parliaments elected every 3 years by voters with at least £200 personal property.
- Cromwell head of NMA.
- when he dies a new one will be elected.
- presbyterian state church, but freedom of worship for all except Catholics.
2 of 2