- Created by: lucyradford
- Created on: 24-05-19 12:06
- motion everything is moved by something before it
- Impossible to be both mover and moved, something cannot move itself
- there needs to be a first mover, must beGod
- An infinite regression of movement cannot exist, there has to be a beginning and end.
-Aristotle 'nothing moves itself'
- Everything has a cause (a reason for its existence)
-Nothing can be the cause fo itself
-Cannot be infinite regression of causes, nothing comes from nothing
-Must be a first cause, God
Necessity and Contingency
- Everything is dependant upon something else
- Something doesn't need to exist if its contingent (needs something to exist)
- For nothing to need to exist, then they haven't always existed
- At some point then, nothing would've existed
- However, then nothing would exist now
- There must be a necessary being to explain everything that now exists, this is God.
- Sun rises, inductive problem ( we see that the sun rises)
- We always see cause and effect
- We assume the future will resemble the past, for example, the sun will rise tomorrow because it always has
- This then lets us see cause and effect where it is not actually present
- Rejects the idea that the necessary being is the Christian God
- The cosmological argument never gives away the attributes of God
- Could be a committee of Gods and not the unmoved mover
The universe and the beginning
- Rejects the idea that the universe has a beginning
- perhaps it has always existed, no empirical evidence to say it has not
- oscillating universe theory, the universe follows infinite and self-sustaining cycles.
-the universe could be a first of possible series of universes/ could be the nth universe in a series
the fallacy of composition
- just because everything in the universe is contingent doesn't mean the universe is
- "every human has a mother, this doesn't mean the human race has a mother"
- we cannot experience causation
- the foundation of knowledge is experience
- probably had a cause but we can never be sure
- cannot talk about it with certainty