- Created by: Sweettilly
- Created on: 05-06-19 22:07
The Babington plot
- The Duke of Guise would invade England, murder Elizabeth and put Mary, Queen of Scots, on the throne. Phillip ii and the pope supported the plot.
- Anthony Babington, a Catholic, wrote to Mary in July 1586 about the conspiracy
- Walsingham intercepted the letters which demonstrated Mary's support and involvement in the plot.
- Babington and the plotters were sentenced to death and were hung, drawn and quartered.
- October 1586, Mary was sentenced to death. Elizabeth delayed signing Mary's death warrant but finally did it in February 1587.
1 of 2
The Babington plot PART TWO
SIGNIFICANCE ON THE PLOT
- Elizabeth's situation was more precarious.
- By 1585, England and Spain were virtually at war
- The persecution of Catholics intensified.
- Led to the execution of MQOS
2 of 2