The process of making Fabric
There are three stages to textile materials :
-Spinning the fibres into yarn
-Weaving or knitting the yarn to make fabric
-Finishing the fabrics to make them more useful
Spinning - twisting the fibres into continuous thread
Weaving- often using a loom the yarn is interlaced to make a fabric
Knitting- continously looping lengths of yarn
Finishing- the final process in garment manufactor- overlocking, pressing and decorating
Synthetic and Natural fibres
Synthetic fibres are continuous filament, meaning that they do not need to be spun into yarn because they are already long enough.
Natrual fribres are staple fibres, meaning that they are short and need to be spun into yarn to be joined together to make one continuos thread.
silk is the only natrually occuring continuos filament and therefore does not have to be spun into yarn
Natural Plant Fabrics and their properties
Cotton - It is used for towels and t-shirts because it is durable and breathable
- it is easy to iron and wash so is used for items that are used daily.
- it is absorent making it ideal for a towel
Linen - It is used for tea towels and summer clothing
- It is absorbent, durable, breathable and light making it cool to wear
- It is stiffer and dries quicker than cotton
Natural Animal Fabrics and their properties
Wool - It is used for jumpers and blankets because it is warm and breathable
- it is absorbent and repels rain, creases normally fall out of it.
- Pretty obivious but its from sheep
Silk - It is used for evening wear and ties for its lustre
- It is absorbent and soft to the touch
- It is made from the cocoons of silk worms
Synthetic Fabrics and their properties !
Viscose - Used for dresses, shirts and lining
- Not warm to wear and isn't durable, it is however absorbent and soft
Acrylic - Used for jumpers and fleeces
- wool like stiffness, crease resistant and durable
Polyester - Used for raincoats, fleece jackets and blankets
- low warmth, non- absorbent but recylable and very durable
Nylon - Used for sports wear and seatbelts
- Durable, breathable but has low warmth