In industry, they key advantages of using computers are that they...
- provide an effective means of presentation
- reduce time taken to manufacture products
- improve communication
- reduce repetitive work
- decrease costs and increase efficiency.
- Computer Aided Administration (CAA)
When computers are used for marketing, sales order processing and stock control.
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
When computers are used to develop designs, make patterns, pattern grading and lay planning.
- Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM)
When computers are used for store design, lay planning and cutting, sewing and pressing.
- Computer Integrated Manufacture (CIM)
A system that uses computers at every stage of planning, design and manufacture.
- Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS)
A computerized system that speeds up sales transactions and monitoring of stock levels.
New technology also helps with communication and presentation, such as...
- instant messaging
- video conferencing
- Interactive design
- Networking sites, e.g. Bebo, My Space and YouTube
- virtual imaging.
Virtual imaging can be used to show what a design will look like before it is actually manufactured.
Phases of Production
There are three main phases to the creation of a commercial textiles product:
- Pre-production (the design phase)
Where all the research and development of ideas take place so you can come up with a final design and model.
Testing is done on all relevant parts, costs are generated, pattern pieces are made and lain and the product is made.
Where sales, marketing and the launch of the product happens.