The biuret test
This a test for proteins.
1. Place sample into a test tube, add an equal amount of sodium hydroxide.
2. Add dilute copper (II) sulphate and mix!
3. A purple coloration forms if proteins are present.
1. Add sample to a test tube with an equal amount of Benedict's reagent.
2. Heat the mixture.
3. Turns brick red if sample contains reducing sugars.
1. Add HCL to sample and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Add sodium hydrogencarbonate to neutralise.
3. Do the Benedict's test
This is the test for starch.
1. Place 2cm3 of sample into a test tube.
2. Add iodine solution and shake.
3. Solution turns blue/black if starch is present