Reasons making migration easier.
- Spain joined the EU in 1986.
- Internet allows easy communication with friends, family & businesses back in the UK.
- Companies sort out legal issues & paperwork by employing english-speaking lawyers and estate agents.
- Cheap airlines such as Easy-jet & Ryanair make travel easier.
1 of 5
- Perceived rise in crime
- Declining respect
- Lack of space & congestion
- Low environmental quality
- High taxes
- Spiraling house prices
2 of 5
- Guaranteed better weather/ climate. Longer hours of sunshine.
- Perceived relaxed lifestyle... 'Holiday atmosphere'.
- Generally cheaper style of living & cheaper houses.
- Business opportunities.
3 of 5
Benefits for & Costs UK
- Emigration almost balances out immigration reducing net migration.
- Fewer elderly to take care of.
- Relieves pressure for new homes & to build on greenfield sites.
- Less bed-blocking
- 'Grey Pound' is spend overseas.
- Loss of potential childcare.
- Loss of experienced workforce - especially if retire early.
- Family break-ups.
4 of 5
Benefits & Costs for Spain
- Increased spending within local economy.
- Use of scrubland.
- Jobs in construction, retail, legal & health services.
- Emigrant 'ghettos' are created with little social & cultural integration.
- House prices exceed buying power of locals.
- Destroys coastal landscape and biodiversity is degraded.
- Localised pollution
- Flood risk rises due to urban development.
5 of 5