- Sunni comes from the Arabic word meaning 'one who follows the tradition of the Prophet'
- Agree that a new leader should be elected from among those capable of the job
- Sunni Muslims make up 85% of the Muslim population
- believe there is no basis in Islam for a hereditary privileged class of spiritual leaders
- believe that leadership of the community is not a birthright but is a trust that should be earned
1 of 2
- Shia is an Arabic word that means a group or supportive party of people, shortened from the historical Shia-t-Ali or 'the Party of Ali'
- believe that the leadership should have stayed within the Prophet's own family or specifically appointed by him or by Imams
- leadership should have passed directly to the Prophet's cousin/son-in-law Ali
- believe that an Imam is sinless by nature and his authority is infallible as it comes directly from God
- perform pilgrimages to Imams' tombs in the hope of divine intercession
- significant populations of Shia Muslims live in Iraq and Iran
2 of 2
Similar Religious Studies resources: