- Created by: roopa
- Created on: 11-04-15 14:56
How Stars Form
Star formation happens in this order.
- Interstellar dust and gas is drawn together by gravity (as more dust gathers, gravity increases pulling in more gas etc).
- The loss if potential energy of the gas leads to an increase of kinetic energy and with that, an increase in temperature.
- Eventually, it becomes hot enough for nuclear fusion to take place which releases vast amounts of energy.
- The star is stable when the gravitational pressure is equal to the radiation pressure. (Remember, the star wants to collapse, but this is opposed by heat in the centre).
1 of 1