Pluralism and the media
1 of 6
- Media seen as offering a wide selection of views of various groups in society.
- Modern society is democratic and people have freedom of choice. If they did not like the out put of the media, they would not buy it or watch it.
- No one is controlling we have so much choice cant be being brainwashed, people have control.
- Media have to give the public what they want or they would go out of business.
2 of 6
Points to support Pluralist views
3 of 6
- Media are not all powerful-governments have tried to make rules against media owners having too much power.
- Vertical integration has been considered unfair for two reasons:
- 1. It doesn't allow competition to survive because smaller companies can't compete withcheaper costs of conglomerates.
- 2. It reduces consumer choice because one person's orgroup's views or products can become too dominant.
4 of 6
Criticisms of Pluralist views
5 of 6
- Fails to address narrow backgrounds of the media professionals.
- Ignore the role of owners in shaping content of the media.
- Diversity and choice limited by power of advertisers.
6 of 6