A media inspired percieved threat to societys norms and values. In particular the media exaggerates stories of a moral dimension which often makes the problem worse.
- Identified 'problem'-->Simplify-->Stigmatize-->Media campaign for action-->Authorities respond
Stan Cohen-Mods and Rockers
- Tiny incident in Margate
- Media exaggerated 'wrote a script' for a story that had not been written
- Mods and rockers turned up at Brighton on Whitson
- Heavy handed police
- All because the media hyped-up and exaggerated
Media define who the mods and rockers were and identify the differences
Sarah Thornton-Acid house/rave culture
- Media got involved, condemning drug culture 'evil nasty raves'
- Advert for youth what to do