- Created by: Becky Millward
- Created on: 14-06-11 19:11
Media representations of Ethnicity
1 of 10
- Varies across different ethnic groups
- Some groups are represented more negatively
- Like gender reps vary across media products
- Are channels dedicated to specific minority ethnic groups and representations in programmes from these will be different from those from mainstream sources.
- Channels present representations that are appreciated by their target audience but may be less engaging to groups outside the ethnic group.
- Hybrid identities within minority ethnic, creaes more complexity when thinking about media representations.
- Fusion music which combines two or more genres taken from different minority ethnic groups can be hard to categorise.
- Roles are constructed from white perspective usually because they are produced by white media professionals.
- Ethnic minority groups have been stereotyped, marginalised or excluded.
2 of 10
Moore et al (2005)
3 of 10
- Identified 5 stereotypes used to portray black people:
- A threat
4 of 10
Van Dijk (1991)
5 of 10
- Unconscious racism in media when reporting ethnic minority groups
- Negative language used and ack of reference to quotes from minority ethnic sources resulted in biased reporting.
6 of 10
7 of 10
- Contemporary media do not accurately reflect ethnic reality of the contemporary UK
8 of 10
9 of 10
- Representations of ethnic groups in EastEnders.
- Can be seen a representing multi-ethnic community since a range of black or Asian characters take up significant roles.
- Criticsed for using stereotypes by casting Asians as doctors and shopkeepers.
10 of 10