1 of 8
- Method used to analyse content of any text.
- Quantifies data in form of sounds, pictures or writing.
- Potential to uncover hidden aspects of texts and bring them to surface
- Jagger (1998) used content analysis (see sociologists set)
- Advantages; gives valid in depth research
- Disadvantages; Low in reliability-people may look at things differently, relies on interpretation, focus on message rather than receivers.
2 of 8
3 of 8
- Looking beyond pictures and text and finding a deeper meaning.
- Analyses meanings of signs and codes in the media.
- Texts/images etc.
- Uncover messages-media powerful/controlling
- Reveal ideological messages
- Feminists often use-female 'ideal'
4 of 8
5 of 8
- Simple meaning behind a sign
- Taking things at face value
- Seeing text/images as they are
- How it's presented to us
6 of 8
7 of 8
- What it actually means underneath the text
- Underlying meaning
- Varies with individuals
- Cultural meaning of a sign, can vary
- DOG-may connotate danger if it is a warning sign on a gate.
8 of 8
Similar Sociology resources: