Marxists Views on The Family
Marxists view the family in a very put down manner.. They believe that the main role of the family is to serve the interest of capitalism and bourgeoisie. Marxists also believe that the family cushions the main provider.
· Men should feel comforted in the house so they can go into work the next day feeling more relaxed and less stress.
Karl Marx's view on the capitalistic mode of production highlights the unfair nature of the economic system. He displays how the bourgeoisie take advantage of the proletariat and their labour; the public are a tool used to create profit and to keep profit margins at acceptable levels.
Marx argues that the monogamous bourgeois nuclear family developed to help solve the problem of the inheritance of private property. They said that men needed to know who their children were in order to past down their property to them. This is why the family was designed to control women and protect women. It is patriarchal as designed to guarantee and encourage male power through the inheritance of property.
Marxists serves capitalism in four ways
· Family socialises their children- reproduce labour power and have an acceptance of capitalism
· Women’s domestic work is unpaid- benefits capitalism
· the family acts as a comfort for the stresses and frustrations of working class men they are there to ‘Cushion the main provider’.
· the family as a unit of consumption buys the goods and services provided by capitalism.