- The first volumes of Charles Booth's study into poverty in London is published
1 of 9
- Boer War - Half of British voluntary recruits to the army are unfit due to poor health.
2 of 9
- Seebohm Rowntree's book "Poverty:A study of Town life" based on York is published.
3 of 9
- Conservative government introduces the Unemployed Workmen's Act to help fight unemployment.
4 of 9
- Liberal Party wins a large victory in a General Election. Labour wins 29 seats.
- Free School Meals act passed.
5 of 9
- David Lloyd-George becomes chancellor
- Lloyd-George tries to pass the People's Budget
- Children and Young persons act passed.
- Old age pensions introduced
6 of 9
- Government Labour exchanges established
7 of 9
- National Insurance Act introduced.
8 of 9
- Labour exchanges were putting 3,000 people into jobs every working day.
9 of 9