Smart Foods - Questions
1.What are Smart Foods?
Example of processes?
2.What do smart foods include?
Smart Foods - Answers
1.Smart foods are foods that have been developed through the invention of new improved processes. A result of man-made materials/ingredients or human intervention (not natural occuring changes)
2. Modified starches, functional foods, meat analogues (e.g. TVP), encapsulation technology, modern biotechnology.
Modified Starch - Questions
1.What is modified starch used for?
2. What is pre-gelatinised starch used for?
3. What else is modifeid starch used for?
Modified Starch - Answers
1. Used as a low fat re-placer in low fat meals.
2. Pre-gelatinised starch is used to thicken instant desserts without heat.
- Modified starch is used in the sauce in pies so when defrosted it will prevent dripping of the sauce.
- used in 'cup-a-soups' to improve mouth-feel, thicken the drink/sauce with the addition to boiled water & blend with no lumps.
- the noodles in 'pot noodles' are pre-gelatinised, so boiled water will re-heat and cook them.
Functional Foods - Questions
1.Some eggs contain omega-3 fatty acids, this helps what?
2. Some spreads are specially formulated to help what?
3. Probiotic drinks are designed to help to do what?
Functional Foods - Answers
1. The omega-3 is a beneft for a healthy heart
2. Lower Cholesterol levels in the body.
3. Improve health of the large bowel.
Encapsulation Technology - Questions
1. List some products where encapsulation technology has been used.
Encapsulation Technology - Answers
- jellybeans use encapsulated flavours for enhanced sensory appel.
- some breads use encapsulated leavening agents to prevent premature release and reaction.
- specially formulated 'sports' bars are fortified with encapsulated nutrients.
Meat Analogues - Questions
List three types of meat Analogues
Meat Analogues - Anwsers
- Mycro-protein is used in fillets to provide a 'chicken like' texture.
- Tofu absorbs flavours, so is used as a meat alternitive in stir-fries.
- TVP is used in vegetarian shepherd's pie to provide the main source of protien.