- Created by: Jessica
- Created on: 03-12-10 14:30
What are the 3 function of the skeletal system and explain each.
- Support - the skeletal system give the body it's framework which gives it shape and effects the compostion and the frame size of the body.
- Movement - where bones meet, they form joints, these act as levels. Tendons attatch bones to muscles which allows the body to perform a variety of movements.
- Protection - The skeletal system protects the organs.
What are the 3 types of joints and what are hinge joints and ball and socket joints?
3 Types of joints
- Slightly moveable/cartilaginous
- Freeley moveable/synovial
Hinge and ball +socket joints
- A hinge joint - allows a joint to open until it's straight.
- A ball and socket joint - one bone has a ball which fits into the socket onf another bone.
What are the movment possibilities of the skeletal system?
- Flexion - decreasing the angle at a joint
- Extension - increasing the angle at a joint
- Abduction - movement away from the midline of the boy
- Aduction - movement towards the midline of the body
- Rotation - Movement around the midline of the body.
What are the two effects of exercise?
- 1) Increased bone density - the body helps the bone get heavier through exericse when it gets stronger
- 2) Ligaments and tendons become thicker and stronger - that increases joint flexibility and the power in the movement.
What are simple and compound injuries and what is RICE?
- Simple/closed - where the bone remains under the skin.
- Compound/open - when the bone rips through the surface of the skin.
RICE = Rest, ice, compression and elevation and is used for bone fracture.