- Plants make their own food
- Photosynthesis = chemical process - takes place in every green plant
- Photosynthesis produces food - in form of glucose
- Plant use the glucose to increase its biomass (grow)
- Photosyntheis makes food using energy from sunlight
- Photosynthesis happens in all green bits of plant (mainly leaves)
- Plants then use aerobic respiration to get energy for the food they've made.
Carbon dioxide + Water ----------------------------> Glucose + Oxygen
Sunlight + Chlorophyll
- Aerobic Respiration equation same but other way round!
Four things needed for photosynthesis
Four Things Are Needed For Photosynthesis:
2. Chlorophyll - green stuff which changes CO2 and H20 into glocose and O2
3. Water - travels from roots
4. Carbon Dioxide - diffuses in through the holes in leaf (stomatal pores)
oxygen = diffuses out through little holes (stomatal pores)
glucose = stored as starch or taken in the veins to other bits of plant
Four Factors Affect Photosynthesis
Four Factors Affect Photosynthesis:
1. Light - more light - faster the rate of photsynthesis
2. Water - too little water - photosynthesis slow down
3. Temperature - optimum (best level) temperature is 30*C - photosynthesis works fine up to 40*C, but over 40*C - it slows down a lot
4. Carbon Dioxide Levels - if paraffin (liquid) burnt in greenhous - co2 levels increase - so does rate of photsynthesis - which increases growth.