Nerve structure and reflex arcs.
AXON - A long extension in the nerve
DENDRITES - Small parts of a cell
MYELIN - Sheath
The nervous system can coordinate a response to a stimulus, using nerve cells.
Nerve cells, or neurons are specialized cells that transmit electrical impulses around the body.
How are responses coordinated
1. Specific receptors in a sense organ detect a stimulus.
2. An electrical impulse is sent to the brain.
3. The brain processes the information.
4. An electrical impulse is sent to an effector (e.g. muscle or gland.)
5. The effector produces a response.