Food and Digestion
- The seven different food groups are Vitamins, Fibre, Carbohydrate, Protein, Fats, Water and Minerals.
- WHY WE NEED THE FOOD GROUPS?
- We need fat so that we have an energy store.
- We need carbohydrates for energy.
- We need protein for growth and repair of the tissues.
- We need fibre to keep waste moving through our digestive system.
- We need water to keep us hydrated.
- BALANCED DIET
- A nutrient is something in our food which is needed and used by the body.
- RDA - Recommended Daily Allowance : the amount of each nutrient suggested for various age groups by the National Food and Nutrition Board.
- Defiency - When one particular nutrient is mising from your diet e.g. scurcy (lack of Vitamin C)
- Vitamins are nutrients that you need to have in you body to keep it healthy.
- Minerals are also nutrients that help your body grow and stay healthy.
1 of 2
Food and Digestion (continued)
2 of 2