Adapt and survive!
DESERT ANIMALS HAVE ADAPTED TO SAVE WATER!
Animals that live in hot , dry conditions need to keep cool
- They use less water
- make very little sweat
- they get big changes in body temperature
- They have very thin layers ofbody fat to help them lose heat
- large feet that spread weight across the soft sand
- There sandy colour helps to camouflage
ARCTIC ANIMALS HAVE ADAPTED TO REDUCE HEAT LOSS!
Animals that live in really cold conditions need to keep warm
- Has thick layers of blubber for insulation - this also acts as an energy store when food is scarce
- Thick fur coat to keep warm and greasy fur which sheds water
- white fur for camouflage
- big feet to spread weight - helps to stop them sinking in snow and breaking thin ice
SOME PLANTS HAVE ADAPTED TO LIVING IN THE DESERT!
Desert-dwelling plants make best use of what little water is available
- Spines instead of leaves to reduce water loss
- Small surface area reduces water loss
- Cactus store water in there thick stems
- Some cacti have shallow but extensive roots to absorb water quickly over large areas - others can have deep roots to access underground water
SOME PLANTS AND ANIMALS ARE ADAPTED TO DETER PREDATORS!
There are various special features used by animals and plants to help protect them against being eaten
- Some plants have armour (roses! (thorns), Cacti (sharp spine), Tortoises (hard shells))
- Others produce poison - like bees and poison ivy
- Some have amazing warning colours to scare off predators - like wasps