- 1st person-selfish - one-sided, we only get one view of the story
- colour-the colour red keeps coming up-could represent danger or blood-violence.
- religious references - story out of the bible.
- ollipsis-she's not sure what she is/was doing-there was no reason for it
- question marks-confusion-shes not sure who she slept with- not sure why she did it.
- long to short stanzas-shows how life is too short
- dashes- crazy, irrational behaviour
1 of 3
Themes and meaning
- irrational behaviour
- Negative view of womenin society-they are often seen as promiscuous if they sleep around
- The woman is seen as mad in this poem-if a man was in this position would he be seen as the same?
2 of 3
Poems to compare Salome to
- Havisham-irrational behaviour
- Before you were mine-Selfishness
- Hitcher-violent behaviour
- On My first Sonne-someone dies, but we see different perspectives
- The Man He Killed-No reason for killing the other person
- My Last Duchess-possessive-selfish
- The Laboratory-seen as psychotic behaviour
3 of 3
Similar English Literature resources: