What is peace?
Peace is a way of life that involves fairness, justice and quality of life. Peace can be spiritual, many people find inner peace through faith in God. Prayer and meditation can fill a person with peace and tranquility. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” [John 14:27]
What are the cause of war?
· To defend their country from attack
· To defend their way of life- their freedom, religion, political system.
· To defend an ally or protect a weaker country that has been unfairly attacked.
· To remove a government or dictator.
· To gain more land or regain land that has been taken previously.
· To gain power, wealth or access to resources.
· To stop atrocities like genocide.
Examples of conflict
The Vietnam War – (1957-1975) - North Vietnam’s communist government fought South Vietnam. North Vietnam won. Many people fled the country, many drowned in unseaworthy boats trying to flee communism.
The Falklands Conflict – (April – June 1982) – Britain owns the Falkland Islands in the south Atlantic. British people live there. Argentina claimed that the islands should belong to them, so they invaded. The British government sent a task force to free the islanders. The ‘war’ had not been officially declared so it is classed as a ‘conflict’.