- Created by: Malika.c
- Created on: 11-03-18 21:57
Types of Euthanasia
Involuntary- When someone else decides when a patient should die.No choice
Passive- When treatment to help a patient is stopped.
E.g. Switching off a ventilator in a comatosted patient
Voluntary- When a person asks for helpig in dying.Their choose.
E.g. Dignitas in Switzerland
Active- Deliberate ending of their life.
E.g. Lethal injection
Euthanasia and Christianity-Reasons for
-It is sometimes the most loving thing to do.
- God has enabled us to think for ourselves and therefore we should be allowed to chose when we die.
- Keeping people alive with drugs is against God's will anyway
Euthanasia and Christianity-Reasons against
- Life is a gift from God only he should decide when we die.
- Suffereing helps people be closer to God.
- Hospices can help people to end their life with dignity so euthanasia isnt necessary.
- The 'sippery slope' arguement.
Euthanasia and Islam -Reasons for
- Ending life is sometimes the kindest thing to do but only in cases of passive euthanasia.
- Keeping ill people alive with machines or drugs is against Allah's will.
Euthanasia and Islam -Reasons against
- No one can die except by Allahs leave, that ia a decree with a fixed term.
Quote: No one knows the plans of Allah (Al-Qadr predestionation) therefore they can play God.
- Zulm: Wrong doing against Allah.
- Do not take life except for just causes.
- Life is a gift from Allah. Only he should decide when to end a life.
Story: Muhhamed told a story of a man who helped a friend who was in great pain to die. The man and his friend were both denied paradise as a result.
The Sanctity of life - definitions
Definition: All human life is holy or sacred
Sacred: Made holy or set aside to be treausered;precious
Potential reasons to end a life
- To preserve human life
E.g. Self defence
- The death penalty
E.g. Lethal inection only for serious cases such as mass murder
- Euthanasia for people whos condition will not improve and they are suffering
The Sanctity of life - Christian views
- Christians consider life to be sacred because: 'God is the giver of life'
- Ecclesiastes 3:1 says 'There is a time for everything. A time to be born and a time to die... '
Christians believe God gives and takes life away as he pleases
- Christians believe God created human life and it should be preserved.Nothing is more important then the life that god has given.
- God decides when life begins and ends. Murder is forbidden in the 10 commandements. Exodus chapter 20 verse 13