- Everything that exists was caused to exist.
- The universe exists so it must have a cause.
- There had to be something external (without beginning or end) that was not caused by anything.
- The external first cause is God therefore God exists as the uncaused cause.
- Supported by the bible in Genesis "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..."
1 of 5
- Put forward by William Paley in the eighteenth century.
- There is a difference between a stone and a watch. One must be manufactured carefully to work whereas the other is simply there.
- The world is like a watch carefully constructed by a designer.
- If you put the pieces in a different order it wouldn't work correctly.
- The world is perfect and complex - e.g.DNA, the food chain, the seasons.
- The world is too amazing to be just chance - it must have been constructed and designed by someone who really thought about it. Therefore, God exists as the designer.
2 of 5
- Charles Darwin observed that depending on the enviroment, different variations in species can occure yet the story of Creation doesn't go along with this theory.
- Genesis says we were made in the image of man, NOT evoloved from apes.
- Gaps in the fossil records means that we still lack the scientific proof to prove evolution is true.
- Evolution goes against the Design Argument.
- Fundamental Christians believe 100% of what the Bible says whereas Liberal Christians are more open to accept that the Bible is not a historically or scientifically accurate book.
- The Genesis Creation story in the Bible tells us that God created the world in stages and this can be matched up with the evolutionary stages.
- Evolution explains the problems that the Design Argument poses - e.g. why there is illness or why there are conjoined twins etc. God has specifically designed them - but they hae evolved from God's original design.
3 of 5
- Day 1: Day and night created. Day 2: Sky and sea created. Day 3: Land and plants created. Day 4: Sun, moon and stars created. Day 5: Sea creatures and birds created. Day 6: Wild animals, man and woman created. Day 7: God rested.
- No mention of dinosaurs, atheists argue that the peope writing the bible wouldn't have had dinosaurs around.
- Mentions "days" before the creation of the planets.
- Mentions "plants" before the creation of the sun.
4 of 5
- Galileo oposed te idea that the Earth was at the centre of the universe and the idea that it was immovable aswell.
- He found various facts to prove that the Bible was wrong and that the planets didn't orbit the earth.
- Many disagreed with him because science was less popular than it is nowadays.
- Galileo didn't disagree with religion merely the historical inacurracy of the Bible.
5 of 5