Mechanics of breathing
- Stimulation of the phrenic and intercostal nerves cause the respiratory muscles to contract.
- During inspiration the contraction of respiratory muscles, diaphragm and the intercostal muscles cause the thoratic cavity to increase in size causing the lungs to expand.
- This causes a drop in pressure, lower than in the atmosphere
- Air rushes into the lungs
- Expiration begins as the elastic recoil of the respiratory muscles causes the lung pressure to increase further.
1 of 1