Comapring to Combustion
Fossil Fuel + Oxygen ---> Carbon Dioxide + Water + heat + light
Source of energy Forms of energy
Glucose + Oxygen ----> Carbon Dioxide + Water + ATP
Source of energy Form of energy
- Oxygen enters the lungs through inhalation.
- Glucose enters the body as food and is digested and absorbed into the blood stream through the small intestines.
- The heart pumps the blood (which contains the oxygen and glucose) around the body.
- Toxic waste needs to be released from the body by passing through the circulatory system and excreted as carbon dioxide by exhaling.
- When the molecules enter the cells respiration occurs within the mitochondria allowing energy to be released aerobically.
Importance of Respiration
- Active Transport
- Muscle cell contraction
- Swimming of sperm cells
- Nerve impulse transmission
- Metabolic reactions
- Seperation of chromosomes in nuclear division