- Important that time is given to necessary routines & socialising
- Important every individual has free time and family time
- More women work so important that all able members of the family share household chores, according to age,physical heath and capabilities
- Children expected to take responsibiltiy age appropriate tasks as children grow up more equitable division of time, so no single member is overburdened.
- Parent need to be responsible for childrens time for school work and bed times to ensure enough sleep to cope with school and work
- Consideration should be given about task that need to be done daily and others less frequently, when distributing chores
- Includes personal human enrgy as weel as fuel and heat energy (points for human energy in time management)
- Human energy involved in running & maintaining a home, any feature/equipment aimed to make home easy to clean and managemnt save time and human energy
- Well designed house that is suitable size will save time& energy, effort not wasted on unused space or cramped spaced that is difficult to maintain
- Easy to clean surfaces with be easy to clean minimise dust and dirt collecting
- Easily accessible storage, things can be stored saves time looking for things
- Technological fixtures- lighting, heating, air-con. controlled by sensors/thermostat easy to get confortable living environment
- Temperture controls- setting on heating, fridges save energy kwwp temperature regular without manual attention
- Dishwashers/washingmachines save human energy, can be set then left. however careful in terms of electrical energy used should only be used when full.
- good money management requires an evaluation of total income forom all sources and a budget
- realistic budget must include;regular expensive,allowing extra money for saving or emergency e.g car repairs
- if household has has either very young or elderly people may be extra medical/childcare/heating/dietary costs
- online banking/shopping save time and increase awareness of how much your spending (comparision websites)
- online food shopping save petrol, and impulse buying
- comparison websites - if planning on major purchase (e.g. a car)
Reducing fuel energy
- Fuel energy is major household cost, can be reduced with effective insulation and right heating system
- New housing must comply with building regulations that stipulate need for good inslulation. - can be added if not addequate in orginal build
- Cavity wall insulation & double glazing
- Hot water cylinder lagged to save fuel energy
- Central heating prgrammed to come on when needed, only when house has people in, radiators set to specific temperatures
- Temperature setting on hot water can be set according to household needs
- lower temperature settings make it easier to save money on water/space heating
- solar power- expensive to install but cheap to maintain
Factors affacting time, energy and money menagement
- number of people in a household
- ages of members of the household, very young and elderly with affect time and money, dependent members of the household involve additional cost, unable to contribute financially
- health of household- members suffer from ill health/disability greater consumer of resources, time, money
- Gender of household members, affect what they are able to do, what they perceive acceptable roles for men and woman (men-labor, women-chores)
- skills & talents of members, how they can contribute to money,time & energy available. (e.g good cook, save money can be inventive with small amounts of food)
- Geographical Location- location in relation to work/school/college. affects traveling costs, (public or petrol) also amount of time to get to and from
- location, affect cost of living, areas more expensive than others
- nature & size of the house- affect maintenance costs, heating/cleaning. (terrace usually easy to heat than a detached)
- nature and quantity of content- surfaces, equipment and furnishing affect how time consuming to maintain
- labour saving appliances
Time and energy saving techniques
- timers - allow household appliance to be set to prgram so they can operate alone while other activies can be completed. e.g dishwasher
- email- quicker than waiting for the post, saving also on the postal fee and phone bill, saves frustration of delayed post
- labour saving equipment- food mixers/processors save both time and energy
- fridges/freezers- can store perishable foods so that shopping needs to be done less frequently, bulk cooking can be saved for another day saving time on cooking
- news items, radio & TV- can be acceseed by internet so you don't have to be at home to see or hear a broadcast allowing you to get on with other things
Interrelationship between time, money and energy
By interrelating it is easier to reduce the consumption of each, maintain a balanced yet affordable diet and ensure we remain healthy, some of the following statements illustrate how resources interlink together:
- People with little time spend more on convinience foods not beneficial to our diets.
- Income will influence amount spent on food.
- Time switches can be used to save money
- Amount of money we have will depend on how we look after our health, which affects energy levels.
- Children can help if parents have less time.
- If you have the time shopping wisely can save money.
- Occupation decides income.
- Thermostats can save energy.
- Insulating the home saves energy.
- Good budgeting ensures all bills are paid.
- A well designed home saves energy.
- Many women now work leaving them less time for housework.
Sources of Income
- Wages and Salary
- Self - employment and rent
- Property development
- Benefits and Pensions
- Grants, transfers from abroad.
- Interest on savings and investments
- Lottery wins