Terminology for religion and relationships.
Adultery - to have an affair with someone other than your husband or wife.
Age of consent - is the age at which a person is considered old enough to be able to decide to have sex, according to the law.
Celibacy - not having sexual relations.
Chastity - keeping oneself sexually pure e.g. Waiting until Marriage before having sex.
Commitment - the act of making a promise or pledge. (Or) it's the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause.
Contraception - precautions taken to prevent pregnancy and to protect against sexually transmitted infections.
Contract - a binding formal agreement between two sides,
Covenant - an agreement based on promises between two sides ; often linked to religion, so includes an agreement before and with god.
Heterosexuality - being physically attracted to the opposite sex.
Homosexuality - being physically attracted to the same sex.
Responsibility - a duty ; a legal or moral obligation; we have to do.
Christianity's attitudes to sexual matters.
Christianity's attitudes to sexual matters:
Christianity's attitudes towards adultery:
1) Most Christians believe that only married couples should have sex and only with each other and that chastity is a virtue.
2) The bible states "Do not commit adultery"
Christianity's attitudes towards sex before marriage:
1) Most Christians believe that chastity is a virtue.
2) Most Christians believe that only married couples should have sex and only with each other and that chastity is a virtue.
3)The Roman Catholic Church teaches that only married couples should have sex.
4) sex before marriage is called fornication and is a sin the same goes for masturbation because it can't lead to pregnancy.
5) Some Christians tolerate sex before marriage in a relationship that's leading to marriage, seeing it as an expression of love.
Christianity's attitudes towards celibacy:
1)There is a celibate tradition in Christianity monastic life and priest hood.
Christianity's attitudes towards contraception:
1) The Roman Catholic Church teaches that within every sexual act there should be a chance of pregnancy.
2) Using contraception is against catholic teachings because it cancels out the chance of pregnancy.
3) The use of contraception is encouraged by Christians stressing the need for responsible parent hood e.g. Only having as many kids as you can look after.
Christianity's attitudes towards homosexuality:
1) Homosexuality is thought to be un natural and can't lead to pregnancy and is also a sin and wrong. ( teachings from Roman Catholic Church ) .
Christianity's quotes for sexual matters.
1) "That which god has joined together, let not man divide" - this means stay together and also do not attempt to break up a marriage.
2) "Do not commit adultery" - do not enter into a sexual relationship when married.
3) Every sexual act should have the possibility of create new life - do not use artificial means of contraception such as the pill and condoms.
Islam's attitudes to sexual matters.
Islam's attitudes towards celibacy:
1)Islam doesn't agree with not choosing to marry or with monastic lifestyles.
2) It is a religious duty to marry and have children.
Islam's attitudes towards chastity:
1) Every person should observe chastity before and during marriage.
2) It is a religious duty to marry and have children.
Islam's attitudes towards sex before marriage:
1) Only married couples can have sex and only with each other.
2) The Qur'an sets out specific punishments for those who have sex before marriage, commit adultery, or have homosexual relationships. - it calls these people fornicators.
Islam's attitudes towards contraception:
1) Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) spoke of sex as being special within a marriage and said that it was a source of pleasure that could provide the blessing of children from god if the couple so wished - this means contraception is allowed.
2) Prophet Muhammad ( PBHU ) also said that couples should only have as many children as they can properly look after - contraception is encouraged.
Islam's attitudes towards adultery:
1)The Quran specifically states "Do not commit adultery it is shameful and an evil way to act."
Islam's attitudes to homosexuality:
1) The Qur'an sets out specific punishments for those who have sex before marriage, commit adultery, or have homosexual relationships. - it calls these people fornicators.
2) It's also haram to have homosexual relationships.
Islam's quotes to sexual matters.
1) "Do not commit adultery. It is shameful and an evil way to act"
Marriage and the family terminology
Cohabitation: living together as if married. The couple have no marriage certificate. Not everyone feels the need to go through a ceremony.
Civil marriage registration: It's done at a registry office and may include promises but isn't religious.
Civil partnership: it's the legal marriage of same sex couples. This means in law they're treated as if married they have all of the legal protections that married couples are entitled to.
Marriage: marriage is the joining of two people as a legal couple. Done religiously, it is done before god for god's blessing (covenant).
Divorce: the legal process of ending a marriage.
Christian marriage ceremony. (Roman catholic cerem
1) The couple will come to church to be united in marriage by the priest.
2) He greets them before the congregation.
3) The priest then reads a homily - a speech about marriage and what Christian marriage is about.
4) The priest then asks three set questions to the bride and groom - to make sure they understand the responsibilities of marriage.
5) The couple then make vows to each other.
6) The priest then accepts their decision it's at this point he says "What god has joined together, let no man put asunder."
7) The rings are blessed and exchanged.
8) The priest blesses the marriage.
9) The couple sign the marriage certificate (this is the civil part of the ceremony).
Christianity's attitudes to divorce
1) For Roman Catholics, divorce is always wrong.
2) Marriage is a sacrament that cannot be broken.
3) Promises are made to god and these promises are binding.
4) For most other Christians divorce is discouraged but accepted as a last resort.
5) It's sometimes the lesser of two evils and a necessary evil.
Christianity's quotes to divorce
1) "That which god has joined together, let not man divide."
2) God hates divorce - Old Testament
3) "Whoever divorces... then marries another it is as if he has committed adultery" - Jesus.
4) Forgiveness and love - Jesus,
Islam's attitudes to divorce
1) it's seen as the absolute last resort.
2) A Muslim couple and their families are expected to work hard to fix any problems.
3) A lot of work has to have gone into the marriage to try to make it work.
Islam's quotes on divorce.
1) "Marry and do not divorce; the throne of Allah shakes due to divorce" - divorce is really disapproved of.
2)"of all legal things the one Allah most hates is divorce" - Qur'an
Christianity's quotes on family
1) "honour your mother and father" - respect your parents
2) "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of The Lord." - treat your children with respect.