Matters of Life and Death - CHRISTIAN BELIEFS
Why Christians believe in life after death
- Believe that after death their body stays in the ground and the soul goes to God for judgement.
- Those that have been good will go to Heaven.
- The souls of sinners will go to Hell.
- Catholics believe in purgatory and that the body will be ressurected - idea that souls live on after death is known as IMMORTALITY OF THE SOUL.
- Jesus told a thief on the cross that he would be in heaven one day.
- The Church teaches that all Christians, dead and alive, belong to the Church.
- Some Christians believe that the paranormal (i.e. ghosts and mediums) is evidence of the afterlife
- Jesus' body was raised from the dead.
- The creed (St. Paul) "I believe in the ressurection of the body and everlasting life"
ROMAN CATHOLIC EVIDENCE
- Ressurection of Jesus
- Teaching of the New Testament e.g. The Book of Revelation
- Teaching of the Catechism of the Catholic Church
SOME PROTESTANTS believe that there is no Hell.
Matters of Life and Death - The effect of belief i
THE EFFECT ON CHRISTIAN LIVES
- "We should try to live within the guidelines of the Bible and the Church because we will be judged by God"
- Heaven offers comfort when our loved ones die
- We must try to live a good life and treat others as we would like to be treated
- The afterlife shows that we should try to repent and to forgive
- We can cope with suffering when we know Heaven awaits us
HOW MIGHT CHRISTIANS RESPOND IN THEIR LIVES?
- CONFESSION- repent for their sins
- PRAYER - praying more regularly and commuincate more frequently with God.
- DOING GOOD WORK - because they know God is watching them, they will try to live life how he wants them to by helping others.
- CHRISTIAN TEACHINGS - they will follow God's commandments and the example of Jesus through "treat others how you would like to be treated"
- VOCATION - dedicate their lives to God through jobs such as a nurse/doctor or helping others priest/minister/nun/monk.
Matters of Life and Death - MUSLIM BELIEFS
Akhirah = life after death (MUSLIMS)
THEY BELIVE THAT...
- The authority of the Qur'an. The Qur'an states that we came from Allah and that we must return to Allah.
- Surah II and 56 teach that those who live a good life will go to al'Jannah and that Allah is powerful but also merciful.
- The teaching and practice of the Prophet (the Sumnah)
- The Qur'an and Shari'ah law teach that Muslims will be judged by Allah and their actions will determine their afterlife.
- Islam teaches that the good will be rewarded and the bad will be punished.
- The Qur'an teaches that God's judgement is final.
EFFECT ON THE LIFE OF A MUSLIM
- All Muslims try to follow the teachings of the Qur'an and Shari'ah law
- Follow the example of the Prophet Muhammed and try to be a good Muslim
- Act the way Allah wishes
Matters of Life and Death - NON-RELIGIOUS BELIEFS
NON-RELIGIOUS REASONS FOR BELIEF IN AN AFTERLIFE
- Reported by patients pronounced dead for a short time.
- Describe leaving their bodies and seeing themselves outside of their body.
- Reported seeing dead relatives/a bright light.
- Refers to unexplained events that have a spiritual cause.
- Ghosts are thought to be spirits of the dead - can be a physical presence or a numinous feeling.
- Mediums claim to be able to contact the dead.
- The belief that a person's soul is reborn into another body or form after death.
- An idea believed by Sikhs and Hindus but also by non-religious people because of memories from the past.
OTHER REASONS WHY
- The idea of death is difficult to deal with.
- Belief in an afterlife seems fairer
- Sometimes people feel their loved ones who have died are still with them.
- That those who led a good life should be rewarded and those who have not should be punished.
Matters of Life and Death - Non-belief in life aft
- There is no evidence if an afterlife - no one has ever returned to prove it exists,.
- Mediums and others who will try to prove there is an afterlife are tricking people.
- Science expalins EVERYTHING in our world and we should not believe in things that are unscientific.
HUMANS ARE MORTAL
- When a person dies their body decays so how can there be anything else?
- Life after death is impossible - we live and then we die.
Matters of Life and Death - Abortion
An abortion is the removal of a foetus from the womb before it can survive.
WHEN DOES LIFE BEGIN?
- At fertilisation - when the egg and sperm meet?
- When the fertilised egg is implanted into the womb?
- When the foetus is developing in the womb?
- When the foetus is capable of living independantly of the mother?
- At birth?
- At some other point?
THE UK ABORTION LAWS:
- 1967 Abortion Act
- Abortions must be agreed by two doctors.
ABORTION IS ALLOWED UP TO 24 WEEKS IF:
- There is any mental or physical risk to the mother.
- The existing children would suffer or be at risk.
- The child born would be severly disabled.
ABORTION IS ALLOWED AFTER 24 WEEKS IF:
- There is risk to the mother's life.
- The baby will be severly deformed.
- There would be riso of serious physical or mental injury to the mother.
ARGUMENTS AGAINST ABORTION (PRO-LIFE)
- Life begins at conception.
- An embryo has the potential to be a human and should have the RIGHT TO LIFE.
- Even disabled children have the right to life.
- Adoption is an alternative
- SANCTITY OF LIFE = ONLY GOD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY LIFE
ARGUMENTS FOR ABORTION (PRO-CHOICE)
- Women should have the right to choose what happens to their body.
- In cases of ****, abortion should be allowed.
- It is KINDER to allow abortion if the child will be severly disabled.
Matters of Life and Death - Christian attitudes on
Christians may hold different views on abortion, although most will not support abortion because of the "sanctity of life"
SANCTITY OF LIFE ARGUMENT
- This is the belief that life is scared and belongs to God.
"So God created man in his own image" - Genesis 1:27
"Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit..." - Corinthians 6:19
"You shall not commit murder" - Exodus 20:13
ARGUMENTS AGAINST ABORTION
(Catholics and Evangelical Protestants)
- Abortion is viewed as murder.
- Life is a sacred gift from God.
- God has a plan for every human being.
- All life has value even if a child may be born disabled.
- Life begins at conception.
ARGUMENTS FOR ABORTION
- Jesus taught about compassion towards others.
- We cannot be sure life starts at conception
- In cases of **** or incest, it is the kindest action.
- Medical technology allows us to see if a child has any severe disablities.
- Abortion is the best choice if the mother's life is at risk.
Matters of Life and Death - Muslim attitudes on ab
SANCTITY OF LIFE = Life for Muslims is sacred and a gift from God. Abortion takes away a life and is therefore wrong.
ENSOULMENT = Life begins when the soul has entered the foetus at 120 days.
"Whoever has spared the life for a soul, it is as though he has spared the life of all people. Whosoever has killed a soul, it is as though he had killed all of mankind" - Qur'an 5:32
WHEN IS ABORTION ALLOWED?
- The health of the mother may be at risk - the foetus would not exist if it was not for the mother.
- The mother's life is established and she has responsiblities to carry out.
DIFFERENT MUSLIM VIEWS ON ABORTION...
- Some allow abortion in the first 6 weeks.
- Believe they should choose what happens to their body.
- An unplanned pregnacy is not a reason for abortion.
- Allowed if the pregnancy is a result of adultery
- Mother's life is in danger.
- Allowed in cases of **** or incest.