- Created by: sazzer2018
- Created on: 29-05-18 20:21
introduction to buddhism
- Not god Related
- Created by man (humans)
- Buddha has long ear lobes as a sign of great wisdom.
- Hagiography-> not a biography (includes myths)
- Buddhists don't take things literally but try to find the meaning behind the story rather than whether or not the story is true.
1 of 5
- Siddatta gave up his life to have a life of wisdom.
- Siddatta's father wanted him to be a political leader so prevented him from seeing the world and becoming religious.
- SID learnt that all actions have consequences-> Karma
- 1st sign: Aging (impermenance of life-ANATTA)
- 2n sign: Illness and disease (suffering people face- DUKKHA)
- 3rd sign: Death and to be reborn (Dukkha, Anatta, no soul-Anicca)
- 4th sign: Begging man (Anatta)
- Meditation is a place of high conscoiusness.
- Siddatta would starve himself to help over come the temptatoions of the body (this being the extreme asthetics path for 2 years)
- IF A STRING LAY TOO SLACK IT WOULDNT WORK, IF TOO TIGHT IT CAN SNAP OR BREAK, SHOWING THE IMPORTANCE OF THE MIDDLE PATH AS A WAY OF NOT FOLLOWING THE EXTREMES IN SITUATIONS. (harmony and enlightenment)
- Vow to stay under the Bodhi tree until full enlgihtenment is reached through meditation.
2 of 5
Paul Williams and Richard Gombrich
- Paul williams sees the Buddha as more of a principle rather than a person:
- Buddhist thoughts
- Supreme compation
- Strove through their own thoughts
- Richard Gombrich
- Theravada Buddhism
- Religion is purely a matter of understanding and practicing the Dhamma
The Buddha isnt a divne or supreme being to worship but about our own inner potential and our own 'greatness'
3 of 5
The conception of the Buddha
- There was a need for a new Buddha to be reborn.
- Buddha re-enters the realm.
- Queen maya is chosen due to her purity to be the mother to the new born Buddha
- the dream about angels, white elephant bearing a loturs flower.
- Maya was pregnant for 10 months.
- When siddhatta was born he took 7 steps and spoke.
- Earthquake shook to tribute to the new Buddha.
- 2 waterfalls formed one hot, one cold, and then mixed to get the perfect temp formed behing Queen Maya.
- The first sign to show the importance of the middle way.
- 7 Holy Men predict that he woukd be a strong ruler, 32 signs of a Buddha predicting Enlightenment. (Asita)
4 of 5
Ascetism is a state of mind and a calm way of life
- Anatta: No-Soul
- personal effect on the Buddha when he nearly dies due to him pushing himself too far with his fasting.
- There are no changes in sould as only the persons attitude changes over a period of time.
- Dukkha & Anicca: Old Age
- showing the impermanence of youth, rinkling of the skin and the breaking down of the immune system/
- people suffer more with age as you struggle to do more tasks, loss of independence, people go extreme lengths, suffer to want to look youthful.
- Dukkha & Anicca: Sickness
- the body is subjected to ill health.
- sickness is inevitable and cannot be avoided
- both physical and emotional pain can be experienced
- health is not permanent, dont become attached to health andf then be shocked by illness.
- Dukkha: Death
- Powerless as we cannot control our lives to prevent the innevitable.
- suffering for those who are left behind when a person dies.
5 of 5