Christian Teachings About War
- Up until the 4th century, Christians were against voilence
- They did not fight back if persecuted
- They would not join armies
- When the religion became well established and more powerful they faced decision about whether they should go to war or not
- In the Old Testament God sometimes told people to go to war
- Eg. "Go and attack the Amalekites and completely destroy everything they have."
- Some Christians believe that there are times when it was right to go to war 'on God's behalf' - This is known as Holy War
- Eg the Crusades, Christian countries went to war with Muslim ones in order to take control of Jerusalem.
1 of 1