- Liberation theology encouraged people to actively change society in Central America
- It states that the poor should organise and overthrow the regimes that exploit them
This is an example of counter-hegemony (Gramsci) as it shows that the ruling class can be challenged by presenting the oppressed with a vision of an alternative.
Afghanistan and the Taliban
Religion can also influence backwards looking social change..
The Taliban set up a regime during the 1990's based on a harsh interpretation of the Koran. e.g.
- Women had to dress head to foot to hide identity
- Men forced to grow beards
- Children not allowed to fly kites
- Music banned
- Harsh punishment (amputation, beating, execution)
- Girls not allowed education over the age of 8
- Women not allowed employment (even widows)