religion and the individual
effect of personality
- personalities drawn to religion are those who are dominated by guilt and shame.
- 2 types of personality
-> intrinsic= religion is very real and take belief seriously
-> extrinsic= religion= means to an end
- converts have childhoods affected by unhappy childhoods
- converts feel safe and secure with religion
- however, soon leave after a period of time
effect of gender
- christian- closer to god than men
- women=god=loving, comforting, forgiving.
- men=god=powerful,planning, contolling.
- jewish&muslim men more religiously active
- christian&hindu women more religiously active
- men= see god in the world
- women=see god inside themselves
- women value social aspect
EFFECT OF AGE
- religious paricipation= high= 14 year
=low = 15/16 years
- many return to parents religion later on in life.
kuhlen and arnold 1944
- belief in literal truth of bible 12y=79% 15y=51% 18y=34%
- belief in god 12y= 82% 15y= 78% 18y= 74%
"it is sometimes believed that the elderly possess some deep wisdom and dignity. from observation of the very old, this is not always the case."