- The Ten Commandments
- Jesus taught it was important to love God with all your heart, mind and strength
- Love your neighbour as oneself
- Good Samaritan - treat others how you want to be treated
- Christians are expected to use their talents wisely
- Dharma (duty) is an important aim in life. If you complete then moksha is achieved
- Dharma depends on ashrama (stage of life) E.g. students have the duty to learn at school
1 of 15
Aims and purposes of punishment
- Humans were created with free choice to accept or reject God's ways
- Jesus taught to forgive
- To gain justice punishment must be given and forgiveness sought
- Most believe at the end of life God will be the final judge
- Any sin is against the dharma of self-control and religious and social duty
- Most believe to gain justice punishment must be given and forgiveness sought
- Many consider that a wrong act will produce bad karma which will have an effect on the atmans reincarnation or transmigration
2 of 15
- All life is sacred
- God has the only right to take life
- Old Testament teaches 'an eye for an eye'
- Ten Commandments: 'thou shalt not kill'
- Life is sacred and punishments should be used to reform
- Used to depend on the caste
- Goes against ahimsa (non-violence)
3 of 15
How should we deal with offenders?
- Try and reform them to change their behaviour
- The punishment should fit the crime
- Should punish them so the law is upheld
- Not get our own back, "Repay no one evil for evil" (Romans 12:17)
- Compassion, Jesus taught forgiveness not judging others
4 of 15
Is it ever right to take a life?
- God decides when life can end
- Might be the wrong person killed
- Depends on circumstances and if its for the greater good - Just War
- Many sacred texts say it is wrong to take a life
- If someone takes a life theirs should be taken as vindication
- All human life is sacred and belongs to God
5 of 15
Why should we obey authority?
- Dont want to be punished
- Society runs smoothly
- Ensure there can be a Just society
- Bible states to follow the law of the country
6 of 15
What influence do sacred texts have?
- Live your life by Jesus's teachings
- Some may regard them not being completely true
7 of 15
How far should people follow authority of the writ
- Scriptures were written a long time ago and dont relate to today
- They are true so should always be followed
- Important but need to be interpreted for modern-day situations
8 of 15
What if the authority is wrong?
- I do as my conscience tells me to
- Religious believers (Marting Luther King Jr and Gandhi) show is it important to stand up against authority if it is wrong
- Authority is divinely chosen so we should obey it
- Founders of religion (Jesus) spoke against authority they considered wrong
9 of 15
What if the law conflicts with religious beliefs?
- Jesus showed the importance of being a good citizen by obeying authority and God
- Ask a religous leader if you think something is wrong
- Religious believers will make judgements on which is the greater authority
10 of 15
- Made up of old and new testament
- Some believe the Bible is the word of God some think God speaks through the text
- Known as 'The Song of the Lord'
- Sometimes wrapped in a silk cloth
- Has been made into comic books and videos of the stories
11 of 15
How can human rights be maintained?
- Everyone acting on their conscience
- Campaigning when rights arent maintained
- Lobbying parliament
- Interfaith dialogue where religions join together to protest
- By everyone supporting the right of justice for others
12 of 15
How can people get justice for others?
- Through prayer
- Through campaigns using petitions, and protests
- Joining organisations
13 of 15
What makes people try to get justice for others?
- Conscience tells them to
- Obey teachings on duty from sacred texts
- Believe God will reward them in this life or the next
- Consider it important to act fairly to all of Gods creations
- Treat others how you want to be treated
14 of 15
Should everyone have the same human rights?
- Yes, God created everyone
- All deserve the same if we are to be equal
- Could be impossible because it depends on where you were born
- Depends what happened in a past life
15 of 15