Biblical Teaching about Equality:
- Christians= all people are equal- created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27) + in Acts 10:3, made clear God doesnt favour some people over others.
- Christians= God loves all of humanity unconditionally= important people show love + respect for each other + concerned with peoples welfare.
1 of 5
Christian Attitudes towards Racism:
- Christians=all nationalities.Christianity= all people made by God + equally important
- Racism= some people are better than others on the basia of skin colour.
- Jesus='love their neighbour'=Christians should treat everyone the same.Jesus= explains further in the Parable of the Good Samaritan. Samaritans= inferior race but in the story its a Samaritan who comes to aid of a man in trouble= Christians treat everyone as neighbour even with strangers or foreigners.
- Martin Luther King= fought racism in US during 1960s + used non violent means of protest against white authorites= inspired by Christian beliefs.
- Aparteid= African government made black people live in poor slums. Desmond Tutu + Trevor Huddleston= as Christians, responsibility to fight justice.
2 of 5
Role of Women in Christian Society
- Some Christians=men+ women have different skills + roles. God created men= stronger + to earn + provide for family. Women= give birth + stay at home + raising + supporting children
- Other Christians=ideas are old fashioned + anything a man can do, a woman can do.
- Roman Catholic Church= dont allow women priests=no women disciples
- Other Denominations= allow women priests=woman has good skills + qualities for priest, they say Jesus didnt choose female disciples=2000 years ago,not the done thing.
3 of 5
Christian Attitudes towards other Religions
- Christians= Christianity is the one true faith + people who are Christian will be rewarded with enternal life.Responsibility to teach others about Jesus + their faith to convert others.
- Other Christians= people who live good lives, help others + love God= regarded in heaven.Encourage Christians to work with people from other faiths= ecumenicalism.
4 of 5
Christian Beliefs about Forgiveness and Reconcilia
- Christianity= they shouldnt hold grudges, aim to forgive as outlined in Lords prayer=Christians will be forgiven by God for wrongdoings + should forgive people for the sins against them.
- Christian centres= focus on forgiveness + reconciliation= Coventry Cathedral rebuilt after WW2- encourages believers to think about how peace can be encouraged.
- Taize community= France ecumenical centre, Christians from different demoninations + countries meet to prayer + worship
- Roman Catholic Church= if person wants to be forgive= go to confession, Sacrament of Reconciliaton.
- Holy Communion= chance to come together as one in Christ='Though we are many, we are one body because we all share in one bread'
5 of 5